Monday, September 17, 2012

Butternut Ginger Soup

No, I don't retouch my photos.

OK, so this is going to be a quickie recipe share. I whipped up a batch of this thick, creamy soup from broth I had made the day before. I really wish I had made twice as much! I have a horrible habit of not measuring when I cook, but this is one of those soups you really don't need to be specific with. I plan on freezing this and will update if it holds up well!

BUTTERNUT GINGER SOUP            Yield: approximately 3 quarts


1 large butternut or other winter squash. I think I used a 3.5 lb squash.
3 large garlic cloves, smashed
1.5 Tablespoons (give or take) minced fresh ginger. mmmmm...
Dash or two of ground cloves (I think I used maybe 1/4tsp total)
Dash or two of ground cinnamon (maybe 1/2 tsp? I really hate measuring spices.)
Enough beef or chicken broth to cover everything. I used about a quart of broth initialy.

Toss everything in your pot and simmer until the squash is cooked and starting to fall apart as you stir. Using either a stick blender or a regular blender (be careful with the hot liquid!) blend until smooth. Add more broth if needed to reach your desired consistency. At this point, you can taste to see if you want more salt or seasonings. My broth was just salty enough that I didn't add a thing.

I somehow managed to have the right amount of everything where the ginger and spices were just strong enough to compliment, but not overpower the squash. Hopefully I can duplicate the perfection when I make it again. I'm not one for pureed soups, but this will become an autumn staple for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment